Let us take the hassle out of managing your food waste. Keep your food waste out of landfill & give something back to the environment. Choose from various collection options to suit your business.
of food recycled in the last 30 days
What can go wrong without food waste collections?
Adding to the food waste problem. The UK throws away around 9.5 million tonnes of food waste in a single year. This costs a huge amount of money and also means the food’s energy can’t be renewed. The biggest impact though, is on the environment. If food waste goes to landfill it emits methane, which is up to 80 times more potent in driving climate change than CO2. It is vital that food waste disposal is managed properly.
How do we collect your food waste?
Choose from 3 types of collection:
- Clean bin exchange - bins are exchanged each collection for a fresh, clean bin.
- Bin emptying - bins are tipped and emptied.
- Bin hybrid (combination of both) - e.g. one exchange collection per week, with the other collections throughout the week being tipped.
To recycle coffee grounds, please see our dedicated coffee grounds recycling service.
How do we collect?
Kerbside food recycling sack
- Easy-to-use plastic sacks for recycling your food waste - supplied on a roll and purchased upfront
- Ideal for customers with little or no storage space
- Get convenient collections from the pavement outside your workplace
- Full bins can be exchanged for clean bins at each collection, simply emptied, or a combination of the two when you choose our cost-effective hybrid service
- Ideal for restaurant & hotel waste collection or other large producers of food waste
- Keep food waste contained so your workplace can look its best
- Simply place on the worktop in your kitchen or tea station area
- Once full, just empty the worktop caddy (lined with bio-sacks) into a larger caddy, kerbside sack or wheeled bin for easy collection
Larger caddies for food waste
- Can be lined themselves and filled directly with food waste
- Great for storing full bio-sacks from our smaller worktop caddies
- Simply emptied on collection
- Help your cleaners recycle well with sacks that colour match the wheeled bins
- Ideal for businesses of all sizes
What happens to your food recycling
Food waste is generated at your business
We collect your food waste in wheeled bins
Our trucks will exchange your full bins for clean, freshly washed bins, simply empty your bins, or a combination of the two at regular intervals
Anaerobic Digestion (AD) is used to convert your food waste into biogas and liquid biofertiliser
The biogas is used to produce clean renewable electricity
Close the loop by buying back electricity from nPower
Biofertiliser is spread onto local farmland to help grow more food
Why choose Recorra?
- Get flexible collections that work around you and your business’s operations
- Boost your business reputation by reducing your carbon footprint
- Get regular reports to motivate your staff
- Super easy to set up or switch from your current supplier
- Exceptional customer service
Who needs food waste collection?
All businesses produce some form of food waste and therefore need regular collections. Whether it’s low volumes, such as in offices and factories, or high volumes in restaurants and the hospitality sector, we’re here to help.
Which areas do you cover?
We collect food waste from businesses all over London and the South Coast, including Brighton, Sussex & Kent.
The key to going net-zero
Statistics reveal that a third of all the food that’s produced is wasted and placed into landfills. This is both a humanitarian and an environmental crisis. It’s more important than ever for businesses to choose food-waste collections and achieve net-zero status by 2050.
We’ve made a commitment to go net zero by 2030. Read about our pathway to discover how you can do the same.
Just enter a few details for immediate access to our whitepaper.
Want to know if our service is right for your business?
Just provide us with a few details about your company and a friendly adviser will be in contact.
What can food waste be recycled into?
Food waste is taken to our partner, BioGen, who use anerobic digestion to convert it into biogas. This can be used to generate electricity, heat or as fuel for transport. The process also creates a nutrient-rich biofertiliser for use in agriculture.
What happens to food thrown in a bin?
If it’s thrown into another suppliers general waste bin then it may simply end up in landfill. It needs to be disposed of properly in a commercial waste bin to reuse its energy and avoid damaging methane being released into the atmosphere.
How can I stop my staff wasting food?
Education! We give you all the resources you need to educate your staff not only on how to recycle, but also how to lower their volume of food waste in the first place.